Jun 22, 2013

My first job!

When I walked into his office for the first time, there he was. Somewhat like this, in this picture. He held his phone between is ears and shoulder and his face buried in his hands. 

I took my seat opposite him and waited. The conversation lasted another five minutes (or maybe less, time always stretches itself when you have nothing to do). All the time I had an urge to take out my phone and check messages. I had a movie to catch up after my interview.
He hung the phone, got up and filled his coffee mug and lit a cigarette like I wasn’t in the room. I shifted position to make myself noticeable. After two what I call really long puffs, he stubbed his cigarette and returned.
“Ah! You are…” He said, while searching for my resume.
“Neeti” I helped.
“And you are here to work with me.” His eyes scanned my resume.
I was nervous. “Yes”
“Alright, when can you start working?” before I could respond, he continued, “Can you work long hours and forget your personal life? That’s the only way you can work with me.”
“No problem sir. Anytime, I am okay to start as soon as you say.” I stammered. There was going to be hell of problems at home. But I needed this job.
“Fine, you are hired. We start now.” I looked at him for some clue, he noticed. “Is there a problem?” “No sir.”
“Good, you shouldn’t have, my last personal assistant left today.” The phone rang again. “Oh take the call and take the notes.” He said and left.
There I was, sitting in a chamber, working as a personal assistant for India’s biggest entrepreneur.
Write Tribe Prompt

11 comments:

  1. A good story Sugandha. Was there a word limit for this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it was 500 words. However, it was an attempt to keep it around 300. Otherwise, my stories usually turn into a long "Short stories"

    ReplyDelete
  3. ice Write up.....But as brajadulala said it should have been a little longer I mean a climax....what say.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...probably I'll try a different version of this one.

      Delete
  4. hahaha !! Good ! thats professionalism from both the boss and the hired :D Loved it Sugandha !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's interesting. so, you couldn't watch that movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does it really matter when one gets the first dream job?

      Delete
  6. nice one :) .. was it real or you created ?

    ReplyDelete

You surely want to leave a comment. Don't you? Go ahead! please :)