Sep 5, 2013

Seven super - teachers in my life

My original post planned for the day was seven people I love the most. But keeping in mind that today is teacher’s day celebrated in India; I change my post to seven teachers of high importance in my life.
Since everyone we meet, knowingly or unknowingly, whether we like or not, teaches us something, my post is categorized into groups who taught me a certain thing. This isn’t a first or second list, it is in the order of when I met them in my life.
1. Parents – My parents are my biggest supporters. From teaching basic skills like walking and talking, to being support system and teaching management/communication and other skills time to time. They taught me to be what I am. They taught me to be independent, confident, uncompromising and smart. They taught me to stand for what I believed. I have learned from them by watching them, by listening to them while we scolded us, reading their elaborate letters while we were at schools and many unknown ways.

2. My dance teacher – I can hardly call myself a dancer, and a Kathak dancer – HARDLY in caps. But that doesn’t mean that my dance teacher was bad. I am sure he couldn’t teach more than what I know to an eight year old that I was when I learnt from him. Though I never excelled as Kathak dancer, my lessons with him evoked my interest in music and dance. I started understanding a bit of classical music at an early age and for that I thank him.

3. My teachers in school – I was in a boarding school throughout my secondary and higher school. Where friends replaced siblings and cousins, teachers replaced parents. There is long list of people whom I would gladly thank to make me what I am. Especially I remember two people – my English teacher who gave me the support to write and my vice principal who taught me confidence.

4. My friends – I don’t think I can sum up my learning from my friends. Actually here I am not talking about life lessons in philosophical sense. My friends greatest contribution is when they taught me what was taught in class while I bunked the class and ate pao bhaji in canteen.

5. My mentor – While most of my shaping up happened in my college and each teacher taught us a subject or two, there is one person whom I really want to call a super teacher. If ever my words permit, I would like to write a book based on life lessons I learn from my HOD from college, my mentor “Nandita Abraham” every time I meet her. She is my ultimate guru. Her approval is my approval, her denial is mine. She, I believe can guide me over phone in my darkest hour. She is a friend, a parental support, a teacher, a mentor all in one.

6. My boss – I am yet to find a person who praises his/her boss as much as I do. I haven’t had a long career but I have been super lucky with my bosses. I switched my industry after college, and then changed my profile again when I moved from one job to another. But my bosses, both of them were patient and kind enough to teach me all I know.

7. Someone I loved – What can one learn from the person whom he/she was in a relationship once? I feel a lot. Learning to love someone, understand the need to communicate, demand rightly, consider someone’s feelings before yours and many other things that no one else can teach but that boyfriend/lover/husband. I learned my lesson too.

Read the post from Day 4 - Seven things that I hate about myself

P.S. Forgot to mention that this is my 100th post. I am super happy and I like the fact that the post coincided with the good day happy feel post.

19 comments:

  1. Awesome. My list is not too different...there r few people who makes such an attempt and impact in ur life. Attempt cause they care and they make constant efforts towards our well being.

    www.numerounity.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great day to pay tribute to the people who shaped the persons that we are today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice tribute to all the people who have guided, mentored, and taught you all these years. Hope all of them read this post, am sure they ll feel nice reading this tribute to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think so...not many around me know about my blog.

      Delete
  4. Super Seven, Sugandha. Btw, I adore my boss whom I call mom and luckily, she doesn't know and shez quite young. My mentor:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. apt post for the day..made me remember my teachers :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. apt post for the day..made me remember my teachers :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes i haven't seen one soul who admires his/her boss.Learned another part of your kind character.

    Happy teachers day....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dev really it isnt my kind character...it is just that I am really lucky with my bosses.

      Delete
  8. That's a nice post-direct dil se.

    Congratulations on hitting the century too! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love this post, Sugandha. I'm not sure you realize that it's such a reflection of you - loving, warm, grateful and sincere. Stay that way! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice, there is so much to learn from everyone around us and you seem to have captured them well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for generalizing the list, I dont think of anybody else left. :-) Happy Teachers Day (Belated :-) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally someone got the point ;) Same to you :)

      Delete

You surely want to leave a comment. Don't you? Go ahead! please :)