Nov 24, 2013

Girl who introduced me to Gandhi

I once attended a local book club. We met every Saturday and read a chapter or two from the selected book. We then sat and discussed the author and the plot for about an hour. We read classics and non-fictions. Biographies were my personal favorite.

The mission of the group was to encourage more and more people to read. From what I joined as a group of four, it eventually grew to become a group of thirty five. However, as the group grew, quality of books that were read diminished.

Eventually I began to feel frustrated. I had paid up my fee for the year, but I now lost interest. The book club was not helping me any longer. Sloppy mystery books and ugly romances were not my taste.

In particular, I hated a couple of girls who could never comprehend a chapter in one go. I discussed the issue with the coordinators. They requested to join in for couple of more weeks and see if they could help. Rather than agreeing on to the first book that came their way, they requested everyone to get their selections and ask for an open voting.

One by one, each of them were presenting their suggestion. A murder mystery, a raunchy romance, all too boring. I didn’t vote for any. The only girl who was left was the quietest in the room. I sighed.


But when she presented her book, I looked up in surprise. This time, she raised the bar. She presented to us “My experiment with Truth” giving us crisp reasons to read it and gathering maximum vote.

This post is a part of Write Over the Weekend, an initiative for Indian Bloggers by BlogAdda.

25 comments:

  1. An interesting take on the prompt sugandha. Very different. While there are some who thrive on ugly romance and sloppy mystery...There are people who pick better reads...guess it's the perspective. All the best for the wow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I strive for peppy romance and heart wrenching romance :D

    But like Preethi said its about perspective. Different people different views.

    Anyhow I wouldn't have guessed this coming with the prompt. Extremely innovative post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anmol I dont say that I don't like them, but not at the book club.

      Delete
  3. I have éxperiments with truth'and loved it for its simplicity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nicely written story around a book club. the book chosen is a nice one

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sigh.. I so wanna be in a book club and get some good info on the latest authors, you know. Nice take on the prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never been in a book club before. Online or the real thing. But I can't imagine getting stuck reading a tasteless book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A completely different perspective to the prompt. Bravo. Now, how do i join this Book Club?

    Joy always,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan I don't know if that book club still exists.

      Delete
  8. Never been in a book club and so badly wanna part of one... it would be fun to get to know people with similar tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am soon to join a book club lets see if I meet my girl who introduces Gandhi :-)

    Richa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you say she raised the bar. Many would have simply yawned the book away! Nice take!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was a good thing someone finally suggested a book worth reading. Nice take on the prompt. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a fab take on the prompt. Glad she raised the bar. I would love to join a book club too. How? Where?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know Shilpa. Let's see if we can create one.

      Delete
  13. Short and sweet post

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wish we could have book clubs like these around.. but we would also need a girl like that in the group or we will be tormented with romances all through out :P Nice take on the prompt :)

    ReplyDelete

You surely want to leave a comment. Don't you? Go ahead! please :)