Nov 29, 2013

On my birthday

Today morning, dad made scrambled eggs for me. He knows I like them the most for breakfast. But I didn’t have any appetite.
When I got out of shower, my clothes were ironed and kept on my bed. It is my special day so I get to wear my favorite t-shirt and shorts rather than the uniform. A pack of sweets packed in my school bag.

Dad dropped me right in front of school slightly before time.

I walked along the wall, escaping my teachers and friends. Hiding myself behind lines of trees. I walked till I reached the small gate that was barred by wires. I made my way through the wires and the passage and stepped on the other side.

I plan to sit in that park the entire day and come back the same way when school finishes. I think I will distribute the sweets to the children of servants and street vendors over there. No, am not scared because I have done this earlier too.

I will tell you a little secret. I don’t like to do it. I hate to bunk my school but I have no choice. I haven’t completed my assignment. It is my birthday and I don’t want to get punished.

But what do I do? Yesterday my teacher assigned us homework to write about our sibling. I couldn’t because I haven’t met her. Dadi told me she lives far with my mother. I couldn’t ask dad for help because he doesn’t want to talk about her too. I have heard him shouting at my mom once when they came to meet us and they never came again.
                                                              ---------------------

Based on Write Tribe Wednesday picture Prompt


When a couple decides to go separate ways, it is their children who suffer the most. They miss out on innumerable things while growing up and often live with sadness in their heart that they cannot share with anybody. No child should be withheld the right to meet their parents and siblings.

24 comments:

  1. Sugnadha, so touching is your post. and the message at the end insisting that siblings meet and keep in touch after the parent's separation. and the boy distributed sweets on his b'day to less privileged children shows a sensitive child. bunking school to escape punishment points out that he is like any other child. Both the facets of his personality are well juxtaposed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kalpana...it just happened. This is completely unedited post.

      Delete
  2. Lack of harmony in a family is very unfortunate for a child. Nice take Sugandha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aah! That's a poignant one! The separation/divorce of parents can be so devastating for a child... the scars of which stay for a long long time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heart-wrenching post!!! We can just pray, such broken families don't grow in number.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sugandha this a very thoughtful story. Children of parents separated are to be pitied.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Usha...I really feel sad for such families.

      Delete
  6. I like the idea of children staying close despite the separation. Children are the casualties of a broken marriage. Brilliantly written. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Kathy. I wish all parents understood this.

      Delete
  7. That's a poignant tale. Separation of parents can cause a lifelong dent in young one's mind. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. A phenomenon that is observed in more and more families now a days. Little do they realise that there is a child involved who is observing all that is going on. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very well writte Sugandha.. Giving voice to the many children who perhaps face this but can't do anything. It's really sad...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aditi. I don't know if it really voices out anyone, but i feel it must be very lonely for any child who knows he has a sibling but he can't reach out

      Delete
  10. You conveyed the angst of a child of a broken family very effectively. Nice post! :)
    Do check my take on the prompt here – http://wp.me/p2Aqoq-i5

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was poignant! Divorce affects kids more than adults... wish people had more sense in these things.
    Nice take on the prompt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was so so sad. Kids are the worst sufferers when parents separate.. And when there is a sibling involved it's worse.

    ReplyDelete

You surely want to leave a comment. Don't you? Go ahead! please :)